Beaverton Football

Luke DeMoines runs over a defender at the goal line for a touchdown.

BEAVERTON – The Beavers did what was necessary Friday night. They started out slow, but 21 third quarter points left no doubt. Beaverton was definitely the better team. “We are always thankful for a playoff win, though we were not happy about how we played in the first half,” said Coach Aaron Seiser. The game started out in typical Beaverton fashion. They forced and recovered a fumble on the first Pine River drive and scored three plays later on a 14-yard run by quarterback Trent Reed. The successful kick by Reed had the Beavers up 7-0 three and a half minutes into the game.

It looked like the game was going to be a blowout when Reed intercepted a pass on the next Pine River possession and returned it for a touchdown, but the return was called back due to a penalty and the ensuing Beaverton drive stalled also due to a penalty. The game remained 7-0 until Reed scored again on an 18-yard run with 37 seconds left in the half. After another successful kick by Reed the Beavers took a 14-0 lead into the halftime break. “We had to many penalties, a lack of focus and were just not playing our game,” continued Seiser. “Credit Pine River for coming out and playing a tough game.”

The Beavers were much sharper in the third quarter. They scored on their first three possessions after the halftime break. Noah Coffey broke free for a 36 yard touchdown run to make the score 20-0. Cam Mishler forced a fumble, which Luke DeMoines recovered giving Beaverton the ball at the 42-yard line. Six plays later, Reed connected with Mishler for a 25-yard touchdown. The p.a.t. was good and the Beavers were up 27-0.

Reed and DeMoines shared the work on the next drive, which went 52 yards on six plays. DeMoines took it in from the one and after a two-point conversion run by Reed Beaverton was up 35-0. A 35-point lead meant that the fourth quarter was played with a running clock. Neither team scored and the game ended 35-0. “We found our way in the second half and played much better,” added Seiser. “It’s all about surviving and advancing at this point.”

The Beavers did most of their damage on the ground. Reed rushed for 145 yards and two touchdowns on 18 attempts. DeMoines had 74 yards and a touchdown on 15 carries and Coffey finished with 42 yards and a touchdown on six carries.

The Beavers only threw that ball six times for 69 yards in the game. Mishler, DeMoines, Carson Oldani and Braydee Keeley each had a catch. Mishler’s reception went for a touchdown.

DeMoines and Mitchell Hall led the defense with five tackles each. Reed and Mishler each had four. Freshman Justin Uhl came up big on the defensive line with a sack and another tackle for a loss. DeMoines also had two tackles for a loss and Jake Fisher added one. Kyle Hall had a big hit on a punt return firing up both the crowd and his teammates.

With the win Beaverton move on to the second round for the third straight year. They host the undefeated Oscoda Owls Friday at 7 p.m. Oscoda beat St. Louis 54-0 last Friday to advance. “We have an opportunity to play another week. We need to make the most of it,” said Seiser.

You must be logged in to react.
Click any reaction to login.

Recommended for you