In 1903, Rev. Rufus Garret, a Friends minister, held an evangelistic service at Smith Creek that resulted in interest from about 20 people. The evangelist turned over the results of his labors to Rev. V. Buxton, and a United Brethren church at Smith Creek began regular meetings in the school house. The church building was dedicated in the late fall of 1904, Bishop Thomas Bowman officiating.
For many years the Gladwin circuit was composed of Riley, Bard and Smith Creek churches, which all shared one pastor. By action of the United Brethren Conference in 1952 the Smith Creek church was ordered closed, and the membership transferred to the other two churches. Later mergers united all the former United Brethren and Methodist Episcopal congregations in the west half of the county into the Gladwin United Methodist Church. During its nearly 50 year history, Sumner S. Young and W. H. Watson entered the ministry from the Smith Creek Church.
The top photo depicts the building shortly before its demolition.
In the April 3 edition of the Record & Clarion’s Look Back in Time Flying G’s Conference Champs 1939, one player was incorrectly identified. In the photo player #31 for the Flying G’s was Joe Farrell.